Welcome - to the procrastination and insanity ~

Hello, there! I'm Kari and he (points to man playing with a pet hedgehog nearby) is my husband Randy. He dabbles in the SCA (society for creative anachronism) when he has the time and money. I have always been crafty and enjoyed history, so we're combining forces to create and continue to improve a Viking persona. This blog will be where I can recount my various misadventures in such things as embroidery, sewing, tablet weaving, nalbinding, cooking, etc. This will allow interested parties to follow my progress on projects, offer help, feedback and also learn from my mistakes. I will also include projects my husband and I will work jointly on, such as our Viking tent, bed and eventual other encampment items. I may, from time to time, add in my husbands related misadventures into armour making and the like. So, let the insanity begin!

Friday, July 26, 2013

Viking cap in wool with wool tablet woven trim UPDATE

I was looking through my old posts and realized I don't have much follow through on updates! I begin these projects and let the internet know, but when I finish them I never tell more!

Well the viking cap has been in use by my husband for a few years now. He loves it. It was one of his Christmas presents years ago and he still regularly uses it. I even made him a nalbound hat more recently (Oh geez! SO MUCH to tell!) but he still won't wear it and instead always wear this one!

In the end I hand stitched all the seams with linen thread and it turned out to our liking.


This is a very simple tablet woven trim. It is in a chunky wool and worked up SUPER fast. 

You can see the slight contrast stitching. This was done on purpose and is seen in historic viking age garments. 

Nice close up of the stitching and weaving. 


The inside of the hat. You can see where the trim has been hand stitched in place and also how I turned over the inside seams and then secured them with the decorative and practical stitch in a contrasting color. This finishing is found on some viking age garments. 



If you followed the old hat post you should recognize that hat there on his head! The vikings were more bright and bold that we are in our garb but we like our colors, even if they might be a bit too matchy matchy for viking tastes. 

I'll have to update later with instructions on our tent, more about our finished viking bed as well as all the garb pieces I have made for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment