Welcome - to the procrastination and insanity ~

Hello, there! I'm Kari and he (points to man playing with a pet hedgehog nearby) is my husband Randy. He dabbles in the SCA (society for creative anachronism) when he has the time and money. I have always been crafty and enjoyed history, so we're combining forces to create and continue to improve a Viking persona. This blog will be where I can recount my various misadventures in such things as embroidery, sewing, tablet weaving, nalbinding, cooking, etc. This will allow interested parties to follow my progress on projects, offer help, feedback and also learn from my mistakes. I will also include projects my husband and I will work jointly on, such as our Viking tent, bed and eventual other encampment items. I may, from time to time, add in my husbands related misadventures into armour making and the like. So, let the insanity begin!

Friday, July 26, 2013

Nalbinding SOCKS!

These are an old project and unfornatley I don't have any pictures of how I made them, but someday I will be making a pair for my husband and I will try to remember to document that process.

I hopped onto the nalbinding train before it reached its current speed within the SCA. It seems like lately everybody is nalbinding up a storm! When I began though it was very difficult to find somebody to teach me as well as to find information online without dropping a lot of money on books.

I did find an old handout from an SCA event that detailed the Oslo stitch and I taught myself that stitch and went from there, sort of making it up as I went. I'm good at that.

Along the way by far the most helpful website I found with information is http://www.en.neulakintaat.fi/ This Finnish website is fantastic! I used the way to make socks detailed there and just hoped of the best. There is always room for improvement, but I am very happy with my socks. They are slightly loosely nalbound because I used  lightweight wool yarn. They are still very cushy and warm but breath wonderfully during the hot summer SCA events.

I also have made hats and mittens, using the instructions give at that website. It is great. I HIGHLY recommend it.

When I made these I started at the top, making sure the loop I made was large enough to fit over the largest part of my foot - being the diagonal from heel top of ankle. Because there is some stretch to these the top of the sock does fit that angle. This is VERY important. If you make the tops too small you wont be able to get your socks on!

From there I made several rows and just kept trying it on as I went. I went down as far as I wanted the top/cuff to go and then stopped. I then added on the heel part, working it down tightly making sure it fit my foot as I worked. Lastly all I had to do was add on as many rows, growing slowly smaller as was necessary to fit the length of my foot. Making the socks in this manner it was very easy to make sure they fit  me! 

This is the toe of my sock. You can see how much denser it is as I took up more stitches to decrease the size until at the very tip it is all worked together and the last few stitches are tied off. 

Here you can see the work where the heel breaks off and if you look closely and follow the rows you can see where the breaks happen and how the heel is its own cup portion worked onto the back of the sock. 

When they are on while there is plenty of stretch to the work they do not have huge holes. 

The band around the top was inspired by a viking age find. The original did not have this high of a cuff and had a red band at the top. I liked the idea of a plain sock with just a band of color at the top. You can see how nicely these socks fit my feet, even conforming to the arch. It was actually quite easy to do, I just worked row by row fitting as I went. You can see along the side the places where I took up stitches to gradually make the sock smaller going towards the toes. 



I didn't get my boots until  later, but I am so glad that I made my socks tall enough! I wanted them to be able to stick out the top of my boots. The reason is two fold. I wanted them to cushion my ankles from the leather rubbing against them and I wanted that band of color to show! I accomplished everything I wanted to with these socks. The boots are from Viking Leather craft and for the cheap cost they are worth it to have semi period accurate foot wear. These are not turn sole, though they do offer them as well, which would be accurate. 

Now go make yourself some viking socks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment